Monday, December 19, 2011

I'll Have A Blue Christmas

I can hear that baritone voice of Elbert's singing 'I'll have a blue, blue Chistmas without you'. His voice was not extra-ordinary in any way and some songs he just couldn't carry a tune to but this was one song that he sang that I thought sounded as good as any recording I ever heard. That, and 'I'll be home for Christmas, just you wait and see'....

If those songs come on the radio or my cd player I quickly switch to something else. It just breaks my heart to hear them. No, he will not be home for Christmas this year and yes, I will have a blue, blue Christmas.

There will be plenty of mistletoe and laughter and food and family but the one person that held it all together is missing. Christmas will never be the same again. However, the family is here, the little ones with their eyes all aglow, 'cause Santa Claus comes tonight. There will be tons of food, which I don't need, but I will eat anyway. Hey, I have an excuse, Christmas comes but once a year. Dieting can start the day after!! There will be gifts to open and oooh and aaaah over.

This first Christmas without Elbert will be filled with so much sadness. Memories of the past, happy ones, but it is time to make new memories with the newest generation that he and I were responsible for starting.

7 comments:

Susannah said...

I am thinking of you, Latane. You post brought tears to my eyes. You have been through so much this year. But I am so impressed with your wonderful attitude. God bless you. He will see you through.

Susannah

Peggy said...

Hi Latane,your Christmas will be anything but blue!It is lovely to remember those special songs that Elbert sang, why not play the cds and have the whole family sing along let the grand kids join in and make those memories!

Carol Noren Johnson said...

Oh, Latane, I will be praying for you and so will your family and friends.

Hugs,
Carol

rkbsnana said...

I tried reading a bit of this post while at work today but decided to save until I could truly appreciate it. I can only imagine how hard it must be to lose a love you had at your side 60 years. I'm not sure I could hear the song either. I hope you are able to enjoy a different kind of holiday.

Dolores said...

Thinking,of you ....and keeping you in my prayers!
Love

Stacey said...

Latane, this brought tears to my eyes! What special memories! I'm sure this is going to be a difficult Christmas. But what a blessing to see how you have such a sweet spirit and attitude. I pray that you will make some very special, precious memories this year also. I'll be thinking of you and praying for you! Sending you big Christmas hugs! God bless!

Carolyn said...

Memories are the gift God gives us to help us endure the sadness. Think on the happy memories and all the friends you have praying for you. Fondly, Carolyn