Thursday, March 15, 2012

Our Trip To The Beach


Twice a year Shirley and I go to the beach for a week of scrapbooking with about 20 women. We look forward to it so much and this year was no exception. But, all the best laid plans of mice and men and women who crop ... well, you know how that goes. Nothing seemed to go right this year. We probably should have just stayed home.
                                    (this picture was made last Oct.)

We arrived Monday around noon. A few of the gals were already there and Shirley and I got settled down to working on our scrapbooks. It was a small room, no view to speak of, couldn't hear the ocean waves or see the water except for a sliver from the upstairs room window. Restaurants were closed and we liked to have never found a place to eat.

And, eating got Shirley into a ton of trouble!! We ate Monday night and she woke up Tuesday morning with her throat swollen nearly shut, she could barely swallow, she was having chills and a fever. She did continue to stay up until 5:30 that afternoon, went to sleep and was not able to get up until 9 the next morning. So, we headed home and a doctor visit for her.


The night we ate out, she had eaten some habanero peppers that were hidden in some mango salsa and had a severe allergic reaction. There's a name for it but I don't remember what it is. The doctor said next time, she'd go into shock so she is now equipped with an epi-pen to carry with her, just in case. Boy, that was scary. Glad we are back home and she is slowly recovering.

So, no... the beach trip was not a good time for us. Maybe next time.

3 comments:

Susannah said...

Poor Shirley! It was wise to come home. I am happy she will be okay. I have so many food allergies. You just never know what dish they might be in. I wish her the best. Let's hope you can go in another 6 months. I. know you enjoy that special time

Peggy said...

Hi Latane, I remember reading about your scrapbooking weekend last year.I hope Shirley is soon on the mend and suffers no ill effects

Unknown said...

Thanks for these posts, your comments have been uplifting and helpful. I remember when my grandmother was struggling with Alzheimers, it was a difficult time for all, especially my mother who had to take care of my grandmother and all of her appointments. My mother ended up coming in contact with a company which she referred to as my grandmothers salon appointment book. It was a company who would keep track of all your appointments, including medical, it took a huge weight off of my mothers shoulders.