Monday, October 4, 2010

Mine Eyes Have Seen The Glory

Elbert and I were in the living room waiting on lunchtime.He had been glad to see me this dreary Monday morning. So, we are sitting there and he is more talkative than he has been in a long time. But, I can't understand a word he is saying. He is inventing his own language. Sure wasn't Japanese... or Swahili or even English. Just sounds he was using to get his point across.  They were Elbert sounds and that was music to my ears. 

He grew quiet then I heard his soft voice humming a tune. I leaned nearer... yes, he was humming 'The Battle Hymn of the Republic' and he hummed it all the way through. 
 Me, I am always pushing a little harder trying to get a little more out of him so I asked him to help me sing 'Amazing Grace'. He grew up on 'Amazing Grace' and has retained the wording of that good ole hymn .... until today. 

I started it off 'Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me'.... He was singing, yes, the words were coming out. But, they were in his newly found language. Oh well, he knew the tune. That was something to rejoice about.

3 comments:

Dolores said...

It's wonderful and soothing to the heart that Elbert remembers the tune to hummm a song.

When David wakes up during the night, he speaks a language I don't understand. He'll talk on and on and I don't understand a word he says...

I rejoice with you....
God is good!

Susannah said...

I am glad Elbert remembered the tune.

Peggy said...

Hi Latane, humming the tune is good enough, I cannot remember the words of songs anyway!It is wonderful if Elbert can pick up the tune from you and hum along.I hope you enjoyed your break away with the grand kids, they do help to give you a different perspective on life.