Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Old Mother Hubbard

                                          
I was sitting with Elbert at The Garden today and was watching the activity about me. And, I got to thinking about how much The Garden is like a houseful of children. Seventeen of them!!! Old Mother Hubbard and her shoe full of little kiddies. 

Some of them wear depends (diapers), some of them need help walking, some are toddering along on their own,
Some were babbling (you couldn't understand a word they said much like little babies cooing) Some are wanting ice cream (chocolate, please), every single one of them needed taking to the bathroom before mealtime. One had slipped down in her chair and needed uprighting, one had lost a shoe. 'Diddle diddle dumpling my son John went to bed with his stockings one, one shoe off the other shoe on. ' Some of them had been playing games, and some (including Elbert) was napping very nicely!! 

I just admire those caring souls who are so willing to care for all seventeen of them with whatever they might need. It's amazing.

8 comments:

Jodie said...

Hi, I have found your blog recently by 'blog surfing' and have been reading your story, it is wonderful that you share this with everyone, when my husband comes home from work, he hears the stories you share, and last night our topic of conversation was 'Miss Meany', How sad that she is dampening your positive energy that often shines through. I truely hope you were not hurt during this last incident, I am afraid she could hurt somebody soon enough. Please try to stay positive and hopefully the staff will come up with a solution before anyone else gets hurt. Take care and keep your chin up.

Gilda Spitz said...

Hi Latane. I loved your analogy in your post today - so very apt. I also have the greatest respect for the nurses and assistants at the home where my father lived. One time I watched a wonderful lady named Choeki (from Tibet - the only person I've ever met from that country!) shave my dad, so gentle and kind. These people are truly amazing. Best wishes, Gilda

Linda Born said...

I just wanted to let you know that I felt really upset on your behalf over the lady who shoved the table into you--twice. I'm not sure it helps very much to know that I am empathizing with you, but I'm also saying a prayer for right now and that might yield some fruit! God bless you.

Susannah said...

Oh Latane, how could she possible do that! I think you are much better than me...it would have been so hard not to make a fuss over her. I know when you go to visit Elbert, it would be nice if your times together were pleasant. I hope the staff does something about this soon.

On the other hand, I am sure you are glad and relieved that Elbert is content.

Susannah

judi/Gmj said...

Latane, as a person who worked in a facility like this, I can empathize with both sides of the story. I was the nurse who identified the needs of the residents, and instigated the care plan to address the needs of the resident who was resistant to the urging of the staff to comply with my written care plan. I ache for you situation. Removal of the angry person will be the best solution, it will alleviate her painful identification with Elbert, and your need for continuation of a loving kinship with same. Does this make any sense to you? you can reach me by my email address for further consult.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Peggy said...

Hi Latane,I hope the staff move Ms Meany away from Elbert soon, it is very distressing when you want to have some quality time when you visit to have to contend with her hostility.

Dolores said...

Hi Latane, I agree with Gilda, your analogy is so correct. Most everyday I feel as though David is my 2 year old toddler.

I sure wish your visits with Elbert weren't disturbed by Miss Meany. You need to be extra careful that she doesn't hurt you.
Hugs,