Friday, February 19, 2010

Friday's Visit

Today was a good day. Sun shining brightly, a bit of nip in the air. When I got to the Garden all the residents were in the day room sitting in a circle doing yoga. Elbert had tired already and was sitting with his eyes closed. Oh, how often he does that!! But, when I walked up behind him he leaned back and said 'I love you'. Major!!! He hadn't even seen who it was. Hey, wait a minute... maybe he thought it was Louise. Just kidding. 


The director, Martha, said he'd had a great morning and then she started singing 'The Old Rugged Cross'. 
'On a hill far away'.... then she paused and Elbert picked right up and carried on.. 'stood an old Chevrolet'. Don't ask me where that came from but it drew laughter where laughter is much needed.


We sat on the couch after yoga just enjoying each others company. He'd talk some, mainly about his 'work' and about the 'children'. Subjects so familiar to him in years gone by. In awhile daughter Shirley came down the hall. He took a minute to focus then said with a smile, 'Shirley'. Recognition!! Yippee. Yes, he was having a great day.

4 comments:

Dolores said...

Yea for good days, and this does sound like a wonderful day!!!

Elbert is such a hoot.....his humor shines through the Alzheimer's.

I'm so happy to read of your good day..... and I pray for more to come...
Love,
Dolores

karen said...

Wonderful day. I love his version of the song. Great to hear he and you are doing good.

Peggy said...

Hi Latane, I am glad to read you had a good day with Elbert sharing laughter and a moment of recognition.I live alone also and it does get tedious especially at this time of year when there is little incentive to move outdoors very much in the cold weather.I hope you are doing well and have a good weekend

JeanMac said...

Thinking of you - - -