Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Blue Skies

Elbert was sitting in a recliner in the dining room all by himself. The tape player was playing oldies. I said hi and his smile warmed my heart. I pulled up a chair and took out the 'Birds and Blooms' magazine that I had just received. He commented particularly on the 'red birds' and 'the pretty flowers', looking through the pages twice. I was looking at the AARP magazine and found a picture of Andy Griffith. He enjoyed my chatter about the tv show and then I noticed he was singing along with the tape that was on. 'Blue Skies, smiling at me, nothing but blue skies do I see.' Yep, the skies sure are bluer these days. He's more alert. I am loving it. 

We put the magazines away and he was telling me some big tale about Walker County. It made no sense but he had mentioned the place we lived before we moved to Virginia. And, then he said something about 'old lady McCoy'. The McCoys owned a store in the community where Elbert grew up. His brain was pulling bits and pieces of old memories to the surface. Wow. He's not called anyones name, not even mine or the childrens much less anyone else, in a very long time. 

Then along came a girl with a dog.... a labradoodle (did I spell that right?). Elbert always owned dogs but he had shown no interest in any therapy dog that had visited the home before . But, here he was, commenting on how pretty she was and his eyes followed her as she pranced about at the end of her leash.

Dinnertime was approaching and residents began to drift into the dining room. Mr. G. had been pacing back and forth trying to exit first one door then the other. He's been at the home maybe a month and is just not settled in yet. He stopped to ask Elbert if he knew the doors were locked and Elbert told him 'Yes, I've heard that'. Miss Cutie Pie (the 99 year old) came in and sat down at her table ready for food. I gave my goodbyes and headed home before Miss Meany made her appearance. Just better that way. (grin)

6 comments:

Other Mother said...

I'm so happy for you that Elbert is having better days.

Susannah said...

What a wonderful visit for you and Elbert! Oh..blessing do flow....

susannah

Donna said...

Hello! Came by way of Delores at Moving Forward with Alzheimers...
I'm so happy the ritilin seems to be helping!
Many prayers to you!
hughugs

Linda Jennings said...

I enjoyed reading about your nice visit with Elbert.

Dolores said...

Oh Latane, I'm smiling and blubbering all over myself after reading this delightful blog entry!!!!
The Ritilin must really be helping him to 'come out of it' from time to time.
I'm so happy for you.... and Elbert!!!
Thoughts ....prayers.... and love sent your way!

A Woman that Fears the Lord said...

This is my first time visiting your lovely blog. I'm a caregiver to my husband. His condition is different but I can understand some of the emotions you are experiencing. May God continue to give us strength.