Thursday, December 10, 2009

Anniversary

Fifty nine years ago today it was a cold and clear day in Mississippi. Elbert and I were married by a justice of the peace in Columbus and then we headed back to Alabama. We were such youngsters, didn't know a thing about life and could care less. We've learned a lot throughout these years. 

Today I bought myself a burger and fries (and a drink) just before I got to Magnolia Manor. It was in a little brown paper bag. I walked into the end door and Elbert was there, with a bunch of residents having just enjoyed a Christmas program. He and I walked back to The Garden and I kissed him on the cheek and asked him if he knew what day it was. Nope. It was just another day for him. It was just another day for me, too, but at least we were spending it together. 
The girls came around putting place mats on the tables and the food cart was wheeled in. Today's meal was fried chicken, scalloped potatoes and green beans. Smelled great. I reached over and dragged my little brown paper bag in front of me. My burger and fries were a tad cold by now. I cut Elbert's chicken up for him and we sat together and ate our anniversary meal. 

Following lunch we had entertainment. I'd like to think that it was 'just for us', you know, in celebration of our big day but it was in celebration of Christmas and Christ's birth. The Isle of Wight Glee Club sang songs for us. 

Halfway through the performance Elbert nodded off. Poor thing. He just has his days and nights mixed up. When the last song was sung I led Elbert back into the Garden wing and deposited him in a comfy wingback chair, kissed him on the top of his head and came home. 

Fifty nine years.... as he would say... 'and with the same woman'. and he'd grin when he'd say it. I asked him today if he'd do it again and he said yes he would. That's celebration enough for me.

 

6 comments:

karen said...

Happy anniversary!!!!!! And Merry Christmas. I so wish I could get mom into a nice home. I know you miss him. But when you write about how you visit him and enjoy each other it makes me want the same thing. I want to visit mom as a daughter not a caregiver. You miss him and he misses you but you still enjoy each other . I very rarely enjoy being with mom anymore. Thanks for your post they make me happy.

Susannah said...

Happy Anniversary to you and Elbert. I am glad that you were able to be together for a little bit during your day. The pictures are wonderuful....let's us be right there with you at the Manor.

Again, Happy Anniversary!
Friends,
Susannah

Dolores said...

Happy Anniversary! Life is so uncertain, we never know where we'll be and what we'll be doing from one year to the next, but through it all....God is good, and thankfully HE never gives us more than we can handle.

One of my blessings is to have friends like you, ..who are so strong and such a good example for me to follow.

I love the pictures .... such a handsome couple....then and now!!!

Other Mother said...

Happy anniversary to you and Elbert! You are blessed to have each other!

Joseph J. Sivak MD said...

Congratulations and Happy Anniversary. Do also have a Most Blessed Christmas. You have a Most heartening and honorable blog.

A Colorful World said...

This was so sweet! You two are a precious treasure in the lives of your children, too, and I am thankful every day for you both! God bless you two in the coming year. I'm so glad you went to Columbus, Mississippi 59 years ago!