Monday, June 8, 2009

A QUIET WEEKEND

We had a very quiet weekend. Well, quiet for us although the weekend is over and things are back to normal (getting out of bed in the middle of the night, getting up early, dozing in his chair) but it was a nice weekend. We sat outside yesterday for awhile to enjoy the cool breeze.

Earlier in the day daughter Shirley had come by and we all went to have lunch at Dairy Queen. Elbert enjoyed that but was totally amazed at the 'crowd' in the place. He kept saying 'look at that line' or 'sure is noisy in here, isn't it?' He is more comfortable in his own chair in the peace of our sunroom. He sure did enjoy those chicken strips and fries, though.

I am faced with a ton of work. I had no idea so much would be involved in moving him to Magnolia Manor. Paperwork to fill out, a TB test to be done, getting forms to the dr. to fax to M.M., choices to make on what to take with him, all the laundry, name tags (although they say you don't need them I may do some) and preparing myself inside my head and my heart for the 22nd.

How do you mark things like eye glasses so that they won't get lost? What about shoes? I remember my Mom, after she had finished her meal, would take her false teeth out and wrap them in a napkin, lay it on the tray and away they went into the trash. We couldn't afford to replace them but a couple times and then that was over.

He loves having his watch but I am afraid that won't be possible. It would get lost or he'd take a shower with it on. So, I guess that stays home with me. And, a billfold.... no, I guess not.

Anyone with ideas please help me out here. I'd appreciate it. You girls have been my strength and support and I love you for it.

3 comments:

Susannah said...

Hello Lantane...you DO have alot of things to see to. Do you have to mark all of his clothes, too? Just take one day at a time...I know it all seems so overwhelming.

There is no way to mark his glasses... and the watch?.......maybe a cheaper watch but it could get lost the first day. I guess I am of no help.

Does his room provide a comfortable chair?

Thinking of you often.

Friends,
Susannah

Dolores said...

I'm so happy to hear that you had a quiet weekend. Good ole Dairy Queen .... we went through the drive thru yesterday for a couple of Blizzards. David perked up when he saw me turning into DQ..... he loves Blizzards.

My heart aches for you, with all the work,adjustments and heartache you'll be experiencing with Elbert's move. I'll be praying for extra strength for you and your family.

I know it's hard to do, but anything your concerned about...."one day at a time."

I'm curious...... you mentioned Elbert's watch. Can he tell time?
David hasn't worn a watch in a couple of years. When he would wear it, he would spend his time looking at it, trying to make sense of the time, and when he couldn't, he'd be frustrated..

My thoughts and prayers are with you!
Dolores

Linda Jennings said...

I used a Sharpie marker to mark everything. And, yes, my mom lost glasses, clothes, money, her beloved Mother's Ring and more. Thank goodness she did not lose her teeth. You don't have to take all his clothes and personal belongings the first day. Take your time getting things ready. My mom always thought I was bringing her something new when I brought in her clothes for different seasons.