Sunday, January 25, 2009

TRAVELING ALL WE CAN - 2006


Our grandson was having his Confirmation and I so want to go. I think perhaps since the flight is short I can go and take Elbert, too. I begin to pack our bags the evening before we are to leave and discover that Elbert has absolutely nothing to wear. The medication he is on has bloated his body and he now weighs 200 lbs. He always prided himself of not gaining weight and was always around 175-180. Boy, would he be upset at the scales now.

Well, I am upset, too. What are we going to do? Daughter Shirley comes to the rescue. She drives her Dad to the nearest town and they pick out some clothes that will fit. We had an early flight. I did not know how Elbert would take to the flying. Would it be unsettling for him? Evidently not... as the plane lifted off the ground he started singing 'We're off to see the Wizard'. How funny and wonderful that he remembers the words and the tune.

The visit with Susan's family was a bit confusing for Elbert. He joined in the activities (the Confirmation on Sunday and then attending a school play that Griffin had the lead role in on Monday.)
but Elbert never could figure out where he was. He thought we were in a hotel and wondered if I had enough money to 'bail out out of the place' when we leave.

We also drive down to Nag Head for a couple days at the beach and then on to Alabama where we moved from. I know in my heart that this is the last ditch effort to go anywhere. Things are getting very confused for Elbert and I can't take care of him and take care of the driving, too. Daughter Marie goes to help out.


He enjoyed his brief stay at the beach but when we got to Alabama I was distressed to find he did not remember one thing about our old home, the people we had known, the church we used to attend. How much longer can we maintain any similance of normalcy? It's pretty much gone.

Sometimes I feel like I am standing outside myself, watching these two people living this lifestyle, observing, learning and yet yearning for that quieter, easier way of life.

2 comments:

Linda Jennings said...

Great advice!!!
Just when I thought I was prepared for anything with my mother, she would do or say something unexpected or perhaps even hurtful, and and I spiraled downward. In my opinion, being prepared for anything is the most difficult part of dealing with your Alzheimer's loved one!

Peggy said...

I find all of these occasions while upsetting for you at the time must surely give you a sense of achievement at overcoming yet another unknown.